The 2011 Show!

It’s review of the year time…

The year started with an unexpected gift: a Rolleiflex! My dear departed friend Matt’s mother decided to clear out some of her old film cameras, and wondered if I wanted it, along with an old Polaroid Super Shooter. I did. I love it.

Also, early in the year I got to be one of the beta testers for The Impossible Project’s new PX680 colour film. Very exciting indeed!

I went to France three times this year, spring, summer and autumn.

I took a pleasing photo of my father:

He took a pleasing photo of me:

In August, one of my Polaroids inspired Quilt of the Month at The Purl Bee website!

After six and a half years of commuting from Cambridge, I moved to London!

Loved the Black Frame “Poor Pod” film from The Impossible Project (see above and below)

Also loved the new PX100 film – these were taken with test packs:

And to round off the year, The Impossible Project Blog allowed me to talk about myself…

So Happy New Year, and I hope 2012 is a good one for everybody!

PX680 is here for all!!

(Deer Crossing)

The day has come! The Impossible Project is now selling the fabulous, exciting and new PX680 First Flush in its store.

Having now torn though a few packs of PX680 (including the ones in this post, taken in early April in the South of France), I feel I can deliver an opinion: it’s the Holy Grail. Ever since Impossible was established to reengineer from scratch the miracle of photography which is integral film, there has been the hope and wish for a new Time Zero replacement. I think this is it.


The colours leap out at you in sunlight, there are more subtleties with interior shots. The reds and blues are vivid, the details are sharp. Shield it for great contrast, allow it to flash for some magic with light.


This is the real deal, folks! I showed my dad (who’s original SX-70 I still use) a shot of my niece taken with the first beta batch. “Yes! They did it!” was his response. Yes, they did.

And from today you can buy it from The Impossible Project shop.

(Beaumes de Venise vines)


(Sauf Riverains)


Like Father, Like Son


My father and I are very serious men. Many a solemn hour is spent discussing important things. Frivolity is frowned upon. In fact most things are frowned upon. Except frowning. 

Or not. 

I bought my dad a Polaroid EE100 as a Christmas present and when I was out in France in early April he was trying it out, taking a couple of portraits of me to get the feel of it. I don’t often take portraits, but I was in the mood, so I got my 600SE with Chocolate film. Camera as prop, father deploying stern, serious expression. Exposure measure with the fab Pocket Light Meter iPhone app. 


Pull out the film, wait, start peeling. Oh right, as I often do, I forgot to take out the dark slide. I need something which pops up in the viewfinder with the word “idiot” if I press the button with the slide in. Swearing and laughing ensued. 

Try again, and success. 

Next day we went for a matching shot, father at the camera. Me in stylish attire. 


Dark slide in. 

Sigh. Laugh. 

Try again. 


Lens cap on. 

Third time lucky. Successful serious face despite the terrible giggles. 

I’m very keen on this pair of pictures. I’ve kept the one of him, he the one of me. Perhaps I should do more portraits.